Institute of Entomology was established on the basis of Agricultural University as a result of unification of three Institutes in 2013. Institute of Entomology incorporated Institute of beekeeping, Institute of sericulture, and Entomology and Bio-Control Research Center. In the Institute currently are functioning three laboratories: Arthropods, Sericulture and beekeeping.
Laboratory of Arthropods
Laboratory was established on the basis of Entomology and Bio-Control Research Center in 2013.
The center was created on the base of the Entomology Laboratory of the Institute of Zoology in 2010, Which was set up in 2005 for the division of invertebrate animals laboratory.
As for the Laboratory of Invertebrate Animals, it has operated since the inception of the Institute of Zoology. The Institute of Zoology was established in 1936.
The main directions of research:
• Taxonomy of Arthropods
• Systematics of Arthropods
• Biodiversity of Arthropods
• Ecology of Arthropods
• Experimental research on Bio-Control
The Objects of research:
• Investigate of the insect (and other groups of invertebrate animals) biodiversity in Georgia.
• Investigate of the insects ecology, biology and Zoogeography.
• To work in the Systematics of Insect (DNA and morphological) with modern methods.
• Development of methods for Bio-Control of pest Insect.
• Catalog of harmful and useful insects, by their biological characteristics.
• Determination of indicator species of the ecosystems of the preserved and urban environmental areas.
• Conservation of rare, relict, endemic and endangered species. .
• Delivery of the relevant information for the public in time.
Information of ongoing projects:
• Biodiversity of Invertebrate animals and heavy metals analyzing in polimetal layers (Kazreti, Georgia). Project is going on behalf of Ilia State University. (STCU/GNSF 2012-2014)
• Biodiversity of Invertebrate animals in Cars caves of Georgia. Project is going on behalf of Ilia State University. (GNSF 2012-2014)
• Biodiversity of arthropods of Mtirala Natioanl Park. Project is going on behalf of Agricultural University of Georgia. (GNSF 2012-2014)
• Survey of Beech scale in it's native range. Prime agreement 08-CA-11420004-120 and Subcontract UM# 08-004994 B 00. 2011-2014
• Functional pollinators and reasons of it's number decline in Georgia, Germany and Kyrgyzstan. Volks Wagen Foundation 2013-2016.
• Identification of small hemipterans and Hymenopterans in Norway. Science foundation of Norway. 2013-2015
Recent successfuly realised projects:
Recently has initiated and carried out more than 20 scientific research projects by the staff of the laboratory. The information about them are presented in their CVs and their scientific papers, which excess to a 100.
Laboratory of Sericulture
Silkworm old Caucasian species has been coming from the ancient time in Georgia. When the silkworm disease – febrina, which was spread in Europe, came to Georgia, the poor conditions of the field requiring specific measures.
The Sericulture Station of Caucasus was founded in Tbilisi in 1930. The Sericulture Station was named the South Caucasus Silk production scientific-research institute and in 1954 it joined the Institute of the Agriculture and renamed Sericulture Research Institute. Nowadays in the laboratory
of Sericulture is stored up to 70 breed silkworm Grenadines.
Directions of Research:
• Maintenance of the mulberry silkworm gene pool.
• Early diagnosis of the Mulberry silkworm disease - polyhedrosis in the eggs phase.
• To develop of special solution for the live silk cocoons tie up.
• Multiplication of the leafroll disease-resistant grafted seedlings of the mulberry plant.
• Assessment of the quality of immunity by the preliminary diagnostic structural and anatomical features of the mulberry plants leaf role disease resistant.
• The possibility of some mulberry varieties emphatically.
The objects of research:
• Mulberry silkworm
• Mulberry plant
• Disease causing viruses of Mulberry silkworm
• The cocoon of the Mulberry silkworm
• The gene pool and the breeds of the collections of the Mulberry silkworm.
Information about the projects:
1. Maintain and care of the Mulberry silkworm gene pool;
Early (Silkworm Eggs phase) diagnostics of poliedrozis of Mulberry silkworm.
2. The effectivenece of using mulberry in Georgia's mountain and valley conditions.
Laboratory of Apiculture
Scientific-research institution founded with the Sericulture Station in 1889.
In 1936 separated from it and on the bases of the scientific-research institute of breeding was set up apiculture section. In 1959 was found independent apiculture experimentale station.
Since 1976 it was transformed into a scientific-industrial Republican union of apiculture in Georgia.
Beekeeping has a long history in Georgia and is still considered to be a popular field. Georgian bee is regarded as the region's endemic breed, it has many positive features which make it attractive for industrial beekeeping.
The main directions of the research:
• Pathogens of honey bee
• Biodiversity and Conservation
The objects of Research
Georgia endemic honey bees there bacterial, viral, fungal pathogens and parasitic pests.
Candidate probiotikuri bacterias separated from the colonies of the healthy honey bees.