4th European Forest Week event was held in Campus
25 ოქტომბერი 2017
In the framework of the 4th European Forest Week, an event was held in Agricultural University of Georgia, organized by Vasil Gulisashvili Forest Institute, with the support of Agency of Protected Areas and National Forestry Agency of Georgia.
Within the event, a new publication made by a young researcher of Vasil Gulisashvili Forest Institute – Lado Basilidze was presented, (follow the link - http://agruni.edu.ge/ge/node/1668), thematic paintings of school children were exhibited, a study tour for 30 school children was organized within the campus and popular-educational lectures were conducted on the following topics:
- „The global importance of forests and interesting facts”- Associate Prof. Giorgi Kavtaradze
- ,,Forests of Georgia- where biodiversity lives”- Prof. NatoKobakhidze
- ,,Protected areas of Georgia- protected biodiversity“- PhD Nato Sultanishvili
- ,,Forests of Georgia - the barn of non-timber resources”- MSc. Lado Basilidze
- "Pests are doing a good job, sometimes you can even taste them"- Assistant Prof. Medea Burjanadze
- “Diversity of forest soils of Georgia”- Prof. Tengiz Urushadze
At the end of the event a funny quiz – “Did you know” was conducted, after which special certificates of young forester were awarded to each participant by National Forestry Agency.
“European Forest week", that takes place since 2008 and is organized by UNECE Committee of Forest and the Forest Industry (COFFI) and the FAO European Forestry Commission (EFC) mainly aims to raise awareness of the importance of the forests in younger generation and to popularize the profession of the forester.
This year the 4thevent was held with the slogan – “Forests, Our Common Good”, that was joined by Georgia for the first time (http://www.fao.org/about/meetings/european-forest-week/en/).